Resources for Intentional Parents
Welcome to a peek at my bookshelf. These are the books that have found a prominent place over the years—the ones that I refer to often and recommend repeatedly. The books listed below give great encouragement and food for thought about parenting in general. We’ve also listed favorite resources for each of the five gifts of intentional parents:
- The Bible—Everything from thoughts about church to Bible studies to a Scripture Memory system.
- Enjoyable Pastimes—Music, art, and craft resource suggestions.
- Academics—Books full of recommended book lists, our favorite children’s software titles, and information on homeschooling the Charlotte Mason way.
- Character—Help for all the ages from character coloring books to Biblical conflict resolution to courtship and marriage resources.
- Home Skills—Recommendations to help you teach your children about financial management and other home skills.
An excellent challenge to focus on your child’s heart and motives that prompt his behavior, instead of only correcting the behavior. ISBN 0966378601
Teaches parents to look at heart issues in their teen-age children and to view the teen years as an opportunity to strengthen relationships and Biblical thinking. ISBN 0875526055
Encouraging and challenging reminder of the high calling of being a mother. ISBN 1578565812
Helpful, practical, Biblical ideas to get an intentional mother started in the right direction. ISBN 0310322413
A refreshing look into the importance of home life. ISBN 1581341113
Margin is the amount of cushion you have between where you are now and the point at which you are maxed out or overloaded. Great encouragement to simplify your life in order to focus on what really matters instead of rushing along on the edge. ISBN 1576836827
In a world that honors outward achievement, tells people they’ll never have enough, and encourages an impossibly busy life, peace and contentment can feel like a distant dream. But Dr. Richard Swenson, the best-selling author of Margin, shows that it really is possible. We can experience the contentment we long for—the peace, the fulfillment, the joy. But it is found in only one place: in Christ. ISBN 1617471828
Does an excellent job of presenting the importance of both teaching and training. Wonderfully practical tips and examples of getting to the root of the issue, discipling our children with Scripture at the time they need to apply it, and reinforcing the correct way by active training. ISBN 0972304649